Traveling This Summer? Some Great Home Security Tips!!
Often during the summer, even though your home is on the market, you still do a lot of traveling to weddings, reunions, family picnics and family vacations. You might only be gone over a weekend or perhaps a week or two. So what can you do to ensure that your home is secure while you’re away from home? Here’s a few tips.
- It’s great to put your lights on timers but it’s a mistake to use one that illuminates the same lights at the same times every day. A better choice is using timers that can be set for different times each day and to not all go on at that same time. You want it to appear that you are randomly moving from room to room throughout the day and evening.
- There are numerous systems with apps now that you can purchase that allow you to control your lights from wherever you are. If you travel a lot, this may be the best way to provide yourself with a stress free trip.
- Consider a Ring or similar type doorbell/security system. You can keep a constant watch via the camera view in your app and alert the police if you see any suspicious activity around your home. These systems are fairly inexpensive, easy to install and provide priceless sense of peace while gone.
- Join a neighborhood online group like Nextdoor or Neighbors, an app that is tied into the Ring system so that you will be aware of anything that is happening in your neighborhood while you’re gone. Sometime it can be your neighbors camera that will keep you aware of any issues at or around your home.
- If you’re road tripping in your own vehicle, see if a neighbor, friend or family member can stop by at different times while you’re gone and pick up your mail or just hang out for short periods of time so there are cars in your driveway while you’re gone. If the live nearby and can leave their car in your driveway overnight once in a while even better!
- In the past it’s been suggested that you have your mail delivery stopped while you’re gone. This can be an ok idea but keep in mind that you are letting people in the local post office with whom you’re not acquainted know that no one is home. Better to have someone pick up your mail or if it drops through your mail slot, just gather it up when you get home.
- This may be the most important tip. DO NOT POST on social media that you are heading out to your reunion or someone’s wedding or that you’re anxious to hop on that cruise…..WAIT and when you return you can post that you just got back and what a great time you had. Still get to share but do so wisely!
- Don’t be afraid to let your local police department know that you’ll be gone and ask if they can periodically patrol your street and keep an eye on your home. They really don’t mind doing so.
With a few well thought out plans, you can enjoy your summer journeys while still marketing your home and feel safe and secure all the while!