Is A Home Warranty Plan A Good Option for You?
There are few things as a homeowner more frustrating than discovering, too late usually, that something in your home that you thought was covered by your homeowner’s insurance, well, is not. Home Warranty Plans provide coverage for the things in your home that you can’t get covered through homeowners insurance ie: major home systems breakdowns or breakdowns of major appliances. You might be surprised how many “breakable” components live within your home systems and appliances, until something goes wrong of course! With a home warranty plan you can lower your stress with regard to how you’ll pay for something if it breaks down. Below are what have been ranked on multiple online sites and in reviews as the top 5 reliable home warranty companies with the best offerings and customer service. That said, it is important to do your own research based on some of the following criteria and how it relates to your home and your needs.
CHECKLIST of Items to Research and Compare:
- Read several reviews both good and bad.
- Can your plan be transferred to your buyer if you are thinking about or are in the midst of selling your home?
- Do they offer 24/7 support at no additional cost?
- Do they offer a 24hr claims line to follow up on progress of your claim?
- Do they offer free quotes with no strings attached? In other words, if you choose to not purchase a plan, will they then bill you for coming out to give you a quote? Sounds silly but it does happen, so make sure and ask when you call.
- What is the length of their workmanship guarantee?
- Can you choose a service provider you already trust or does it have to be someone they provide?
- Do they offer local service providers from whom you can choose?
- Do they prescreen the providers they offer to service you?
- Do they require a home inspection before coverage? Yes, some will cover you without an inspection.
- Can they cover your roof as well as items inside your home?
- Will they cover pre-existing issues? Most will not so you may have to research several companies to find one that will.
- Do they offer an emergency alert network?
- What is the extent of the coverage? Again, delve into details before purchasing a plan.
- Will they replace items if they are not able to be repaired? If your home is more than 5 years old, this could be one of the most important features of your plan.
Highly Ranked Home Warranty Companies: (Received 4.5 to 5 Stars)
*American Home Shield 866-282-4071 ahs.com
*Select Home Warranty 888-388-7156 selecthomewarranty.com
*America’s 1st Choice Home Club 844-209-7912 afchomeclub.com
*First American Home Warranty 855-292-5824 fahw.com
*The Home Service Club 800-728-9003 hscwarranty.com